Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Prompt

I had a question about a week ago how the prompt could be used. The question was basically, do you have to use the prompt verbadium, or even use it in your story.

Here is the way I look at the prompt. If the prompt tickles your fancy use it. If you can quote the prompt great. If it is just an idea that stirs something in you and it has something to do in some way with the prompt, then use it that way. basically I don't care how you use it. If it is a one word prompt obviously fitting it into your story should be pretty easy. But like the prompt from this previous week that was quite long, I don't expect you to use it word for word, in fact, unless you are a much better writer than I am I can't see how you could do that. (BTW I think most of the people that write for Great Hites are better writers than I am.)

Long and short of this, the prompt is there as a way to, for lack of a better word, prompt you into writing something. It is an idea, a grain of sand that you might turn into a pearl.

To everyone who has submitted thank you. For all of you listening thank you.

- Jeff

No comments: